It was not until his late work, the Berlin Philharmonic (1956–1963), that Hans Scharoun finally achieved his deserved international acclaim. Around the same time, Scharoun also won the international architecture competition in Wolfsburg for a new theater building. After a number of drafts and tough negotiations regarding its realization, the cultural building was inaugurated ceremoniously on October 5, 1973. Four decades later the building on Klieversberg has not only established itself as one of the most significant touring theater venues in Germany, but its architecture has also retained its impressive presence and exceptional standards. On the occasion of its fortieth anniversary, Katrin Barthmann and Rocco Curti from the Lower Saxony State Office for Heritage Protection accord the first-rate cultural building its rightful place in twentieth-century architectural history. Nicole Froberg from the Wolfsburg Architecture Forum provides a virtual walkthrough of the rooms. The photographer Lars Landmann draws attention to magnificent details and enables interesting insights behind the scenes.